October 22, 2009

Underbody inspections, doc says 'A-OK'

_DSC1390 (1) copye

So I don't have any more videos today, but I do have a more in-depth look under the skin of Carmen, aka Ultimate 8v, aka, our newest project. Driving a car around a parking lot and having it feel 'solid' is one thing, but putting her up in the air and getting a good look at the condition of the unibody and floorboards is the only real way to know whether its rotten or golden.

_DSC1382 copye

Any car which has lived its life in the general Mid-Atlantic area has probably seen its fair share of poor weather and as such, probably is hiding some deep dark secrets. Rust. Every car I've owned has had some, and I figured this Corrado would be no different.

_DSC1374 copye

_DSC1367 copye

...and how nice it is to be wrong! Sure, there is some wear and tear. It's nearly 20 years old and it's not all that surprising for the undercarriage to show signs of being put on and off of lifts, and the banged up rocker panels so often seen when an emergency tire change is needed. But otherwise? Nothing much! I can honestly say this is the nicest car I have ever owned in terms of the actual condition of the car. This one my friends, is a keeper.

_DSC1383 copye

One thing I'm not sure about keeping, on this car anyways, are the MSW Type 55C wheels. MSW wheels were made by O.Z. Racing, and much like the old Fittipaldi wheels, were marketed as O.Z. wheels in Europe. Why they felt the need to re-name certain designs for the USA market I'll never understand. Don't get me wrong, I love the 55C and won't sell them, but I'm not 100% sold on the Corrado. I really want to get this car 'period correct' in terms of aesthetics, and I don't know if the big 17" 6-spokers suit the car.

_DSC1387 copye

They also rub the hell out of the inner fender area at full lock. Any thoughts? I'm partial to a Zender turbo or something similar if anyone has any they'd like to get rid of.

_DSC1379 copye

Another throw-back item are the DTM tips. I love em, and since not every single car is sporting them these days they are unique these days. The eagle-eyed among you may notice the 2.25" Techtonics stainless steel exhaust to which they are attached. Quality parts all over this car, and I haven't even detailed what's done to the engine yet. I keep pinching myself to make sure I didn't dream this thing up!

_DSC1381 copye

By the way, we did a little freshing up while we had Carmen in the air. Oil was swapped out for some of finest 5-40 synth that Total (Elf) has to offer with a MANN oil filter, and a MANN fuel filter replaced the Fram which was on the car. MANN filter, made in China. Indeed.

_DSC1407 copye

Oddly enough the side skirts and rear diffuser are starting to grow on me from the back angle here, from the front however, I just can't get down with the RS4 styled bumper. But like I said, looks will come second, getting the mechanicals finished up and reliable remains the priority.


_WRS

_DSC1360 copye

2 comments:

  1. whats the plan for this thing? does it stay in VA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think it could make it up without too many troubles as it sits, there is a faint wiff of coolant every so often when the car is hot, and so further investigation is needed there. (not to mention insurance, tages and registration.

    It just so happens however that Robert is heading up to NY this weekend, with an empty trailer I might add, and swinging by Northern VA at right about the same time I get off from work. So today is its last day down south!

    ReplyDelete