October 26, 2009

In honor of the occasion, more G60 content. (Video Post)

In honor of the recently resurrected-from-dormancy G60 Corrado now proudly residing in the Wolfsburg Rennsport stable, I dug up some pretty cool videos of the VW Motorsport works Rallye Golfs in action. I suppose I actually just stumbled upon these videos more than dug them up. There's a UK forum called dubforce.net which is all about forced induction VWs, and I've gone there on occasion to dig up info on VW Motorsport parts for G60 engines and what not, and someone there posted links to all of these videos. (after all the Brits do love their G60s, and they actually got the Rallye over there) So I can't so much take the credit, but here they are. Description by poster slateford from dubforce...

"Erwin Weber driving WOB AW 482 in the 1990 Sachs Winter Rallye as a safety car. PVW magazine said the car unofficially recorded 15 fastest special stage times out of 22."

LINK HERE (embedding disabled)

"Charly Beck driving WOB AW 482 in the 1990 3 Städte Rallye where he finished 3rd."



Darko Peljhan in the 1995 Monte Carlo rally. It was the last car to come from Volkswagen Motorsport so may have been WOB CL 757 or WOB CL 770 which were used by Raimund Baumschlager in 1991-92. It was then sold to Hans Weijs in 1995.

LINK HERE (embedding disabled)

WOB VX 44 testing from the VW promotional video "Der Rallye Golf".



Not sure about you, but that last video sounded like the car was pretty down on power...

And finally, my favorite: (careful this one is loud, and yes, I've posted it before)

Jozef Studenič competing in the Turckheim Hillclimb 05.09.93



Anyways, I haven't decided just how overboard I want to go on the engine in Carmen, after all it is more of a GT than race car, but a lot of work is already done to her. I may go back to the OEM boost re-route set up for less noise while driving, but otherwise I plan on trying for pretty high power figures for an 8v PG block car, with a goal of at least 200whp. Ideally I'd like more, but I'm also a realist and most G60 motors, even increased displacement examples, don't ever make it that high. (in fact I can't say I've ever dyno'd a G60 that broke the 200whp mark. Some have gotten very close, as much as 198whp, but that's about it) A larger intercooler is most definitely on the list, but until we get the car on the dyno I'm not sure exactly how we will proceed. The car is scheduled for the dyno next week, provided the final tune up / service work has been completed by then.

_WRS

No comments:

Post a Comment