October 20, 2009

....and we have ignition: Project G60 has fire

So far, so good. Although the clutch problems have yet to be taken care of, Carmen is officially up and running on all cylinders. I admit it wasn't running on all four to begin with. First up the car's tank was empty...I mean absolutely BONE DRY. A couple gallons of premium, some judicious priming of the pump, cranking....more cranking...and then even more cranking and va-room, we had lift off.

_DSC1321 copy

A slightly off kilter, lumpy, three-cylinder sort of lift off, but hey, it's better than nothing. After a minute or so I shut her down and poked around under the hood and, oh hey, isn't THAT a rather large fuel leak. Turns out some slightly over-sized hose clamps were used on the fuel line, plus they were over-tightened, resulting in one leaky and crushed bit of hose. Luckily there was plenty of extra line, so I went through the set up and replaced all the bad connections and made sure we were good to go. And we were, no leaks...but still three cylinders.

_DSC1319 copy

Next up was the spark plugs, which appear to be new, but the plug wires were of unknown condition. Luckily Josh at the NGP Virgina store came to the rescure with some old Bahn Brenner plug wires from his G60 Corrado. (now a 1.8t) Big thanks to Josh, the plug wires are great...but the car was still not running quite right. Knowing the car had been sitting for quite a while before I got my mitts on her, I decided to try the old "tap the injector with a socket extension" trick, and low and behold. Eureka! Smooth idle, no vibration, and surprisingly little noise from the lifters.

_DSC1325 copy

Here is a super crappy, super boring video of the car starting and idling. Riveting stuff I know...



Anyways, that's what I got so far. Come this time tomorrow I hope to have had Carmen at least around the block, and I hope to have another crappy video of that. See you then!

_WRS

2 comments:

  1. YYYYEEEAAAHH!!! Sweet!! Sounds like a beast.

    Well you know what they say "LIGHT EM UP!"

    Isn't that third thing to do after driving around the block??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whistle of a the g-lader.

    Oh yeah. "Light em Up"

    ReplyDelete