October 10, 2009

Final ALMS event of the season: Monterey Sports Car Championships

Picture-1

Today is the final event of this season's American Le Mans series. Taking place at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway, it should prove to be quite am exciting race. Four classes, including P1, P2, GT2 and Porsche Cup, will be racing in the four hour enduro which starts in just a few hours.

Picture-2

I happened to catch the live qualifying on SpeedTV.com yesterday and it was very close amongst the top runners in each of the classes. Very exciting stuff! Risi Competizione put it all on the line, and even over the line a few times, but it wasn't enough to top the Gt2 Corvette which rumbled its way into pole position in class. The Corvettes are relatively new machines to GT2, and I have a feeling they will be a real force to be reckoned with next season. (as if they aren't already!) Radio Le Mans mentioned that Chevy just issued a press release stating this was the "end of the development period for the GT2 Corvette." I take that to mean there may be a two-car black and yellow steamroller in GT next year... I'm no fan of Chevrolet in general, but I love the fact they have stuck with sports car racing as a venue to prove their #1 product, the Corvette, is a real deal performer, and not some sort of silhouette racer.

Picture-4

Porsche was no-where inside the top three, but the #87 from Farnbacher-Loles did slot into the fourth position. I still think they look, sound, and are generally the best GT cars made, but I am a bit biased towards that end.

Picture-3

I don't really have a team I'm pulling for, but I'd like to see the Falken Tire RSR place well. Smaller, independent efforts will always be my favorites when the other options are the factory-backed Flying Lizard and Farnbacher.

Picture-7

In P1 Gil de Ferran managed pole in his very last race before retiring, which I think is especially fitting with his Acura now dressed in fantastic looking white paint and running the number 66 in honor of Jim Hall and his Chaparral racers
. I'm personally routing for one of the Dyson cars to come in and snatch the victory from the more powerful P1 cars...with its 2.0 4-cyl turbo Mazda engine it's just like one of the old GTP cars of old! (well maybe not exactly, but it seems to be in the spirit of it, with smaller displacement turbo motors battling the big naturally aspirated V8s)

Picture-5

Radio Le Mans goes live.....NOW! Warm up starts in just a few minutes, and listen live tonight at 5:15 EST.

_WRS

Picture-6

No comments:

Post a Comment