October 27, 2009

On the move

_DSC1435e

Big thanks to Robert at Lufteknic. Perfect timing on a northbound run with an empty trailer means that Carmen is now safely snuggled inside a warm and dry garage awaiting further work. A list has been made and updates will be forthcoming, starting next week. Belts will be replaced, oil lines will be double checked, the charger maybe, just maybe, will be taken apart and checked, and timing, CO and fueling spec will all be rest before the car hits the dyno.

I have to admit, I am well aware of the fragility of the G-Lader itself and I'm a little apprehensive about the one residing under Carmen's hood. In fact I had an aborted G60 project many years ago due to a shot supercharger, which ate up all my budget being replaced, resulting in my having to sell the entire conversion to make at least some of my money back. Still it's my favorite VW engine. It sounds great, it can make good power for what it is (a diminutive 8v) and well, it's just cool.

The unit on Carmen was rebuilt by Bahn Brenner just 4,000 miles ago, so it should be good to go, but I really won't be happy until I know for sure that the displacer and housings are in good repair. The previous owner made a rather ominous remark about being down on boost before the car was parked, but that could be explained by quite a few things. (slipping belt, bad bit of vacuum line, and so forth) Anyways, here's to hoping the gods of the G-Lader are smiling on me and Carmen.

_WRS

4 comments:

  1. don't take apart the charger! what are you crazy? unless someone at the shop knows how to put them back together it seems pretty risky

    do all the rest first, then worry about it esp since bbrenner rebuilt the thing not too long ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Chad is pretty good with the chargers. He rebuilt his, with new apex seals and what not. I haven't decided for sure. It's just that it's one of those deals where if you catch it early enough if there IS a problem, it can be fixed, as opposed to needing a whole new displacer, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hells no man, no dyno or repair facilities in NYC ;-)

    ReplyDelete