February 17, 2010

Add another to the 'Can not have' list...

poloGTI_1024_1

As a rule of thumb I don't post very often with information about new models from VW, Audi or Porsche as told by press release, as I feel there are plenty of other places that do that and I don't need to stick my hat into that ring, so to speak. (is that a saying? I feel like I'm getting that wrong) I will however, break this slightly unofficial rule with the following letter to Volkswagen of America, regarding the new Polo GTI*.

* Not destined for the USA.

poloGTI_1024_3

Dear Volkswagen of America,

Hey, how's it going? Been a while huh, what's new? Me, not too much, just sitting here thinking about how few new cars there are worth buying. Sure there's the Mk6 GTI, which is fantastic looking (aside from the Touareg rear tail lights), but it's a little big, expensive, you know, adult. I have to say...I've heard about the new Polo GTI, and as you may have guessed, I'm a little upset. What? Did you think we wouldn't hear about it? You think the internet would simply not report about the 7-speed DSG gearbox, the 177hp 1.4 twin-charged engine? Or the fact that it has the XDS limited slip differential from its big brother, the Mk6 GTI?

Don't even write back about how you're going to come out with some sort of special edition Jetta coupe for the suckers here in the states. It's going to suck, and suck hard. It will be large, heavy, boring, and probably offered with a lot of chrome trim. It'll be just like a GTi, but not as attractive, slower, and won't handle as well. I can hear the excuses for not selling the Polo already.

' Americans don't buy small cars, especially small hatch backs, and bringing the Polo would be too much of a risk. Look at the Rabbit Golf Rabbit Golf. It doesn't sell nearly as well as the sedans. Money Money money, etc etc etc...'

Well perhaps Americans don't buy lots of smaller cars, or at least not the smallest VWs in large quantities because Volkswagen hasn't SOLD a small car here since 1992. Sure the Mk3 isn't huge, but don't even come at me with saying that the Mk4 or any of the newer models are anything other than mid-sized. Not EVERYONE wants one of those heaps in the driveway. And in case you hadn't noticed, Toyota has moved a pretty good number of those Scion things, which are all pretty damn small compared to the Cadillacs you've been selling as compacts. I also hate to break it to you, but I see way more Honda Fits than I do Rabbits or Jettas. Don't get me started on the Yaris or Prius.

In closing, why don't you grow a pair and see the light like Ford has with their Fiesta? Maybe even throw one into the Rally America series with some serious bank behind and it and get some kids interested in the brand, you know, get them hooked early and all that. Trust me, you should bring it here. You can contact me directly at wolfsburgrs@gmail.com when you want to give me one for evaluation here in NYC. Maybe we can be friends after that.

Signed,

_WRS

P.S. - This car looks way more like the spiritual successor to the beloved Mk2 GTI 16v than the Mk6 GTI. It's a seriously handsome car, and you should sell it in the states.

poloGTI_1024_2

5 comments:

  1. well said , give it to them with both barrels
    nothing better than a bad ass little car
    BSV

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i think i like the looks of that more than the mk6... too bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you send that letter to VWOA>>??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, no I didn't, just thought it would be funny. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll see it and send me one for North American testing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. send in the letter, it is needed. It is humorous, but only because everything is ALL true.

    BTW this car has more of a soul, better lines, and sp-right-ly.

    ReplyDelete