January 6, 2010

A correction: That ain't no R32 drive train

AME-Polo_VWBlasen085

You know how your mom told you not to believe everything you read? Well I should have not believed the Youtube info I read, and I now have to admit a mistake. That insane AME Polo? It does not, in fact, have an R32 motor stuffed under the hood. It is a 1.9 16v turbo. And it makes 1047hp. Let me repeat that. One point nine liters. With a turbo, four valves per cylinder. One thousand and forty seven horsepower.

AME_16VT_Marek

I suppose I could have caught this had I read the specs listed on AME's website (they're a tuning / race shop in Berlin) or paid closer attention, but well, I didn't. (and the AME site does mention specs on the Polo with an R32 engine, and it certainly sounds like a VR6 in at least one of those clips) But regardless, thanks to helpful reader Marcus, from Germany, I am now fully informed about the tiny little Polo Mk1. I have to hand it to AME Rennsporttechnik. This has got to be one of the most impressive build specs I've ever seen when it comes to pure power in a tiny package.



The engine is based around a reinforced 1.9 TDI block, 86.4mm crank, AME 82.5mm pistons, longer H-beam high strength 160mm rods, cams, mechanical followers, a GT40R Garrett turbo, AME stand alone management and THIRTEEN fuel injectors. Plus the kitchen sink. That all adds up to 1047hp and 950Nm at 7734rpm, with 2.75 BAR boost. (40psi)

ame-volkswagen-polo-engine

The shift point is all the way up at 9400rpm, and in 6th gear the tiny tin can will be going 300kph, at 9000rpm. So theoretically this car could easily top 300kph, which means it's bascially a 200mph Polo. Curb weight is almost exactly 2000lbs with a driver, 0-62 happens in 2.3 seconds, and it will be above 150mph before it gets to 10 seconds. Low 9 second in the 1/4 mile. Etc. That is seriously fast. Power is out through a TT Quattro gearbox and drivetrain, and probably broken quite often.

ame-volkswagen-polo-stoppie

At least I got one thing right the last time. This car IS pure insanity!

_WRS

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is crazy! It's weird, I saw some vids that said 1.9 and some that said R32... since my German isn't up to snuff I was like "1000+ HP"?!? no way that is a 1.9!

    OOOOOPS

    AME is a Beast

    ReplyDelete