December 29, 2009

Video Post: Quarter Mile Crazy

Quarter mile drag racing has never really been my thing. I can bang gears with the best of them, but to really dedicate yourself to drag racing you need to accept the fact that you need a: a lot of power (which costs money) and b: a lot of spare parts (also expensive). Basically drag racing a VW will mean broken transmissions, broken axles, and probably a few broken motors too. My wallet has simple never had the stomach for that sort of stuff.

So J sent me a few links to a fairly insane R32 turbo Polo Mk1, which is about as crazy as any VW I can ever say I've laid eyes on. This particular car looks like a real handful. An honest to god deathtrap. Don't be believe me? Check out a few of these runs...







Reminds me how violently hard to control the old Scirocco 1 that Kevin Black used to run was. Not that I drove it, but check out this in-car shot. 530whp or so was on tap, depending on the boost, from the 2.0 16v motor and T61 turbo.



At least some people are willing to put it out there and let it all out on the line. They sure are fun to watch!

_WRS

No comments:

Post a Comment