June 17, 2009

Supernova Rally Team - Vauxhall Nova 1400 Insanity!

I seem to be finding quite the knack for writing about anything except for Volkswagens these days. Not that I don't want to, but when I find something I dig, I want to share it. The videos here are pretty much as awesome as you can get when it comes to privateer in-car rally action. I first started subscribing to the Supernova Rally You tube channel a year or so ago, and these guys, driver Julian Wilkes and co-driver Will Rutherford, are in full on Maximum Attack mode from start to finish. Check out Julian's website, or his driver profile on the BRC Challenge site. I managed to snag a pic from this Flickr account...lots more cool British rally action on there.

Making it all the more interesting they run a 1400cc Vauxhall Nova...fully rally prepped of course, making around 160hp 190hp with a ITB's, full-tilt-boogie race motor, but with such a low weight car it really moves. Well enough that it manages to do quite a number on a 1600cc class Opel Corsa even. Observe...



You can see this action from the outside in this compalation video from the event (also very cool...check out 1:45 for the Nova)



Anyways, it's a car they never sold in the USA, and most of my experience with Nova's is reading about them in the old Max Power magazine from back in the 90's, but it's clear they have some potential. Plus they have boxed fenders so they almost look like little Rallye Golfs, so pretty cool.



I have a feeling I'd probably really like these cars if they were available in the US. Decent looks, lots of aftermarket support, and potential. Good thing they aren't, as I barely have the cash for the projects I have now!

_WRS

No comments:

Post a Comment