June 3, 2009

Lime Rock Weekend Part One: Vintage F1

Back on the weekend of May 23rd, the future Mrs WRS and I made a quick day trip up to Lime Rock Park in lovely Lakeville, Connecticut. The primary reason for this was to check out the Grand Am Koni Challenge series and the APR Motorsport effort, consisting of the 171 and 181 GTi Mk5's, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice selection of vintage Formula 1 cars on hand as well. They were part of the Historic Grand Prix, and most were from the late 70's and early 80's. Some names I knew, some I did not, but they were all very cool. I can't really say they were going for it on the track, I mean they were running hard, but definately not as fast as I would have imagined they could, but hey, when you're talking one of a kind vintage race cars, probably the only thing more rare are the BMW art cars which I love so much.

If I had to pick a favorite? No problem. Sure I had the Matchbox John Player Special when I was kid, but it's the Tyrell Benetton that was my favorite. Sadly it didn't run on the track, but this car really hits home for me.
It always trips me out as to how small these cars are. They really are tiny little machines. It takes a man (or woman) with much larger Co-jones than I to climb into one of these. They probably would need to be shorter too, but that's really secondary.


By the way, I have a vintage Momo Benetton steering wheel and shift knob on ice for the future. Will it go on Scirocco Madness? Can't say for sure, but it's gloriously 80's, and that's really all that matters. I promise I'll actually talk about VW's next time, probably tomorrow.

_WRS

No comments:

Post a Comment