July 10, 2009

Rose colored glasses day at the WRS

They say that the past is always seen through Rose colored glasses, and I think to a certain extent that is always true. Was the racing really that much better back in the day? It certainly seems like it, but then again it probably wasn't. We've seen our fair share of very close racing these days, and there are a ton of manufacturers involved in a wide range of motorsports, but none seem to capture the power, the look and the insanity of the late 80's Group C / IMSA GTP racing. I look at the 90's as a pretty significant period in sports car and endurance racing, but back then all I could think about was how I wished the mighty Group C cars were still around. Another 10 years and I'll be doing the same thing. (right now I wish that there was a proper Porsche P1 car..turbocharged 6, natch)



Here is a clip (one of twelve!) of the 1987 IMSA GTP series at Laguna Seca. Check out these cars. The Lowenbrau 962, Jaguars, Nissans. Scary fast turbocharged brutes...I mean the Nissan was running 900 horsepower! They'd never let you get away with that these days. Anyways, words don't do much justice. Check out part one, and then head on over to the Youtube for the full race.

_WRS

P.S. - I didn't forget about my last post saying I'd have more about the VW Powered Sports Prototype, I just don't feel like writing it yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment