May 1, 2009

Wolfsburg RS Project 01: Scirocco Madness


I think I'm losing it. The Wolfsburg RS is undertaking it's first official project car build, and it's a doozy. A f**cking Scirocco. Not just that, but a Scirocco II. What am I thinking? Have I gone mad? I must be, because there is no other reason to do a Scirocco project that's in the condition that this one is. It used to be an 8v, but then it was a 16v, and now it's sitting less a drivetrain and suspension in the back lot of New German Performance down in Maryland. Thanks to Jason from NGP, I'm (sorta) the proud new owner of this wonderful machine. No charge.

Did I mention that it's free? Did I also mention that it is completely straight / accident free, free of rust, and includes a perfectly valid title? Perhaps now you can see I'm only partially as mad as I appear to be. The honest to god truth is that I'm not a Scirocco guy. Scirocco guys are like TDI guys that aren't obsessed with miles per gallon, or Audi TT guys, but they aren't fashion victims. I have nothing against the original (nay, second version) VW Coupé, it's just not me. I've owned all GTI's, and other other than that one Jetta, I've been a GTI purist through and through. I feel right in a Golf-based hatch. That said, sometimes change is good.

So the other thing about this, is that I really wanted another Mk1 project. (my first car is my long lost much missed 1984 Mk1 GTI) I was watching those Berg Cup videos, feeling excited about another Mk1 GTI, feeling excited about making a poor decision and buying a project car I don't need, of owning another Mk1. Then I checked the Mk1 classifieds at VW Vortex.

The world has gone INSANE!

People are asking (and people are paying) stupid, stupid prices for Mk1 cars. $2,000 for a rusty mis-matched panel GTI. $3,000 for a car that has a Maaco respray and some slightly fancy wheels. No, way. If the WRS is anything, it's broke, and there is no way we're paying a premium price for a car that we're only going to use the shell, suspension bits, and maybe the dash from.

So a free Scirocco it is. You know what they say about gift horses, and maybe the same will be true of gift Sciroccos, but I still think I'm crazy. Stay tuned. With the car 3 states away, and there being no way to work on it here at my apartment (I think the super would have a problem with that) it'll be a long, slow, painful build up. But it will happen, and it will be awesome. I promise.

If you don't hear from me anytime soon, it's because they've put me in for treatment.

_WRS

6 comments:

  1. yup you're crazy!@

    but now that i'm looking at the pictures, it does look pretty straight... maybe you should leave it kit-less though? leave it looking like an 8v and slam it on some old school wheels. resist the urge to go nuts on it? now i'm just enabling i think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, hard to say. It has a 16v kit in the car (used to be installed). This car is a pretty good argument for stripped down and basic..

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3493392232_e0332326af_o.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. weird thats pretty much what was in my head... with a 2.0 16v or something, and NO RESPRAY

    gotta ditch those boat anchor bumpers

    i think scirocco euro headlights are the same as US vanagon lights, but don't hold me to that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the car has already been painted once, and Jason is taking the hood and doors off for his car (which is black) and it will be getting a hood, hatch and doors from the upstairs and various other parts cars there at the shop. So paint has to happen actually. The bumpers and headlights definitely need to be addressed, but those parts are fairly hard to find these days so we'll see what can be done. I figure get it rolling, start the strip down / build up for bodywork and paint, then select a drivetrain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this may be the best decision you've ever made

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an '87 scirocco with a 16v and a 5spd, bought it up for $300, drove it home just as the clutch went out, burned oil real bad, and the transmission had a crack in it from the previous owner's attempts at fixing it.
    Seemed like alot of time and money back then,2006,
    so I sold it to a guy who races them for $250.Forgot to mention it was red, no rust, just faded, had black/white checkered interior cloth, and black molding and so on inside.
    So wish that I had kept it stored away in the garage, as I cannot even find one here where I live. I am very afraid the value of these will
    skyrocket and I wont even be able to get into a
    rust bucket yard piece for anywhere cheap.
    Stick with it, dont go overboard, get back into shape and runnin' nice and go from there. You will not be sorry, very fast cars and great handling!

    ReplyDelete