December 5, 2009

Interesting find - The World of Automobiles: An illustrated Encyclopedia of the Motor Car

The weather is absolutely horrible in NYC today. It's cold enough and windy enough to make the constant gray drizzle feel like shards of glass hitting your skin, but it's not cold enough to actually snow. Days like this make warm summer days, or even rainy spring days seem like heaven on earth. Anyways, weather aside Melody and I decided to drive to this vintage store a few blocks over since walking seemed like a poor choice, especially when one has a car at their disposal. It turned out to be the right choice, as I scored some amazing books for a mere $2 each and carrying them back would have destroyed both the books and my good mood.

The World of Automobiles: An illustrated Encylopedia of the Motor Car

The series is called The World of Automobiles: An illustrated Encyclopedia of the Motor Car
, and I snagged everything they had at the shop, 8 of the 22 volume set. It was published in 1977, and covers the absolute widest range of topics you can imagine. Some of it is very mundane, such as how a water pump works, to very detailed and in-depth technical features on the top race cars of the 60s and 70s. Added to that are driver details, brand histories and everything in between. I'd never seen or heard of this series before, but it looks like I may have to start tracking down the remaining 14 volumes to make my collection complete. As a fan of pretty much all things automotive, it's quite an intriguing find. If you see it anywhere, take a peek, I'm sure you'll find it as fascinating as I have.

_WRS

1 comment:

  1. I've got 21 volumes I used to have all 22 but my dog didn't like one of them :-( putting them on ebay........

    ReplyDelete