December 6, 2009

Throw back pic post: Essen Motorshow 2002

VWDISPLAY3

This Essen Motorshow is currently going on over in Germany, and thinking about this reminded me that I had a nice little stash of pictures from when I attended back in 2002.
Definitely more important to the European car tuner and enthusiast than the SEMA show here in the states, there is still a huge range of "stuff" at Essen. Often times you just see the car coverage in the mags, and honestly that's about all I took pictures of, but the additional exhibition halls have an insane number of booths selling any and all things auto related, or not.

AUDIR82

AUDIR8SPREAD

The whole thing was a bit overwhelming, and my photog skillz were decidedly lacking, as was the equipment, but it was a lot of fun, and I have plenty of memories to show for the experience. Probably the best thing is that I got a chance to cross one of my life-goals off my list of things to do before I die. (Which was, listening to Kraftwerk's Autobahn, while driving ON the Autobahn)

H+RGOLF2

Enjoy this smattering of pictures, with more over at the Flickr account. Audi had just recently won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with their all-conquering R8, there were vintage cars such as the Pike's Peak Quattro, Ford RS200, plus all sorts of lower level spec and rally race cars. Polo Super 1600, Lupo Cup...the list goes on. I had honestly expected more street / tuner cars to be on display, and to some extent I suppose there were, but most were not exactly what I would call tasteful, interesting, or worth the space on the memory card.

_WRS


RS200RALLY

AUDIRS22

URQUATTRO5

POLORALLY3

Automated display of a W12 motor. I sure wouldn't want to have to do a timing chain job on this thing!
W12CUTAWAY2

LEMANSBENTLY3

TTDTM5

No comments:

Post a Comment