September 9, 2009

Pic post: Film just looks better

After my session of scanning in photos last night, I came to a bit of a realization. Old school film looks better. Well, perhaps not better, but more natural. To me it should have been pretty obvious I suppose, as I'm a long time believer that vinyl records sound more natural, and for a guitar nothing is better than a tube amp...solid state has no place in a serious guitarist's rig.

Now, the thing of this is that film certainly doesn't appear to be more accurate, much like a vinyl record isn't more accurate than a compact disc, but it looks like you think it should, just like a record gives that warm sound like a band at a perfect venue. It looks like a memory...which is what pictures are really supposed to be I guess, but in these days of digital SLRs where you can set it to "rock and roll" and just fire away, pictures almost seem to have become less than they were just a decade ago. A good picture is still a good picture, but it's too easy to just snap snap snap...the two pictures on this page were both taken with my old, beloved, and still occasionally dusted off Cannonette G-III rangefinder. Neither are perfect, but to me they look just right....

_WRS

2 comments:

  1. arno and i miss your mk1 even though we never saw it. those pictures were back from when you used to be cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you expressed the virtue of film... as looking like a memory. I agree. Also, the idea that it looks "natural". Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete