September 5, 2009

Pic post: CCVW 1985 GTI, over the years

Well, I was getting myself all geared up to start ranting about something and it turns out that I was totally wrong. So here I am without anything particularly interesting to say, and I figure I may as well throw up some pics of my old Mk2. (which was previously Blaksquirrel's old Mk2, which eventually became Kevin W's new Mk2, and is now no longer with us) This car was a trooper, and can be seen in it's previous incarnation on the CCVW post from a few days ago. Although the odometer stopped working somewhere in the 220,000 mile range back in the late 90s, the car generally did between 20,000 and 25,000 miles a year....Josh drove this thing a LOT. I would say that the original engine and transmission had at least 350,000 miles on it before I traded it for a newly rebuilt 8v. (the first motor I ever did without any help from a more experienced builder)

Super rare USA spec Hella smoke / red tail lamps. Sold to Robert, who then sold them to some kid who wrecked the car (Jeff / Robert's 1992 GTI 8v) they were on...arg on both counts.

From there it did another 30,000 miles with me before I sold it to Kevin W, and god only knows what it did from there. I would bet the chassis had well over 400,000 miles when it was finally deemed "un-salvageable" by Kevin, thanks in no small part to somewhat half-assed bodywork and the ocean air of south Florida. It was a great car, and spent the vast majority of its life slammed to the ground on a set of H&R coilovers, which never came close to leaking or failing by the way, and was really a key car in our little crew of people. Lots of late night runs, parties, hauling records to some DJ gig or god knows what else, and I don't think it ever broke down, not even once.

So these pics are bascially how the car looked just before I got it, and then after the rebuild in 2004, completed just before H2O International. I have to say, I miss my old Compomotives too, but at least I still have the pictures....

I didn't bother repainting the bumpers, I have no idea why. Probably money.

This reminds me: Kevin I want that front license plate back! ...it can go with my collection of my old front plates. =) (actually Josh deserves the old DST 785, come to think of it)

_WRS

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it ever did break down actually...! Although in that last picture (which was taken by Robert and really captures the car I think) I was at Mosport to shoot the Turner Race team feature for PBMW, and the car started vibrating REALLY badly just after I headed back to NYC. (It's a 12 hour drive) It got so bad with the shaking whenever I hit the gas, I started driving like a semi - Fast downhills to have momentum for the uphill. Turns out that ALL of the axle bolts on one side had backed partially out. Not sure why that had happened, but I'm glad I made it home.

    Then there was the time it broke down for an hour or so after I drove through a two foot deep puddle - OOPS. Dried out the distributor and went on my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and they were Mexican spec Hellas with US connectors... bought from Velocity Tuning for $115. Not sure of year, maybe 1996?

    ReplyDelete