November 30, 2009

Porsche Bus

I'm not generally much of an air-cooled guy, and although I do really respect the cars, they're just not really my thing. It's odd, because way back when I never wanted anything other than a Beetle or a Bus, (my Uncle has always owned some kind of VW Bus for as long as I've been around). I have just never really taken the plunge. One of these days I suppose...

DSCN1137

At any rate, there are plenty of people who live and breathe air-cooled VWs like it's food and water. There are plenty more who live and breathe air-cooled Porsches, so I suppose it's only natural, with the shared genes of the two brands, that these people are often one and the same. My buddy Robert has a friend of his who is one of these people, and it just so happens he is in the process of melding a classic split-window bus with a 911 drive train and suspension. The aptly named PorscheBus has just got off the ground, but the content is already flowing freely and I'm sure it will remain very insightful and informative to say the least. This is after all going to be a full-on restoration and build up, with all the proper parts, and the proper attention to detail, and from the looks of it, none of the rust currently in hiding in the 1965 13 window VW is going to remain hidden.

DSCN0591

I can't say I would have sold this cherry 1981 911 SC to embark on this journey, but then it's not my car either. I suppose it's like I said: I respect them, (and they're arguable cooler than any water-pumper ever will be) they just aren't my thing. If they were I'm sure I'd be filling this space with all things air-cooled and bus related. I'll be keeping an eye on it, and updating from time to time to keep everyone in the know....as I'm sure it'll be one of the cooler (and obviously faster) old split windows around.

_WRS

No comments:

Post a Comment