June 22, 2010

Pic Post: (Sebring flashback edition) - SVRA Porsche 911 RS / RSR

Porsche 911 RS at Sebring SVRA, 2010

I've been having irrational day dreams about owning / buying / restoring an older 911 the past couple of days. I blame the latest book I've been reading, From R to GT2
The Racing Porsches: 911 & 930
by John Starkey. So far I'm up to the 1975 3.0 RSR (the car pictured is not a 3.0 RSR however, probably a replica or an early 2.7 RS) and well, they're just such awesome cars. Perfect, in a word, and I know that is very common knowledge but they just are. Simple, with everything you need and nothing you don't: CIS injection, lightweight, no ABS, no power steering, pretty much bulletproof. This is an RSR:

Porsche 911 RSR, Sebring SVRA 2010

As long as I'm living in NYC however, that's never going to happen. Even if I could manage to afford the car, I'd never be able to afford the extra parking space (which would have to be a garage naturally), not to mention the fact said garage would be underneath of or behind someone else's house. Plus any mid 70s 911 which I could scrape together the cash to buy would likely be a project, and once again, I'm not about to leave thousands hundreds of dollars of tools out of sight and out of reach, several blocks away.

So until the day comes when I have millions of dollars, or I leave NYC, that dream will just have to wait. At least I have a lot of research and learning to do in the meantime.

_WRS

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget all the motivation you will need to work on said project. As you know I have found it hard to keep up with my project especially since I walk by it everyday.

    You will be happy to know that I have started ordering things I need to get the ball rolling again. We will see how long this current motivation swing carries me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motivation isn't a problem for me, money and space are the two main things. In NYC there is no way I will ever have the money to swing the space to work on a car that is a 'sunday' type driver.

    That said, sounds good....you better get that thing rolling soon before you forget how to put it all back together, heheh

    ReplyDelete