April 11, 2009

Giant vintage pic post: More of Daytona Y2K

By request: I went ahead and scanned in a portion of the Daytona Rolex 24 Y2K pics that I've been sitting on for about, oh, the last nine years. I kept it mainly to the Porsches, along with the only two (only two? WTF was I thinking?) BMW E36 M3 pictures that I took that weekend. I have a decent selection of WSC cars to scan - or whatever it was that Grand Am was calling them that year- include a good number of Ferrari 333sp's, some Lola's, and the Cadillac's. Not too many of those, they were pretty tight with security around the garage area, but most everyone else didn't mind you wandering about as long as you stayed out of their way.

I have to apologize again for the lack of Volkswagen content here, but I've always been a fan of sports car racing, and although VW did have some participation in Le Mans in the early aughts (which I will cover) they haven't done much else. And why not post a selection of the bazillion pics I have? I certainly haven't seen many others out there from this era. Being pre super-cheap digital camera and what-not. Be sure to go to my Flickr page for the full range of scans...WAY more than what will be posted here...

A common sight that Sunday morning:

More of the G&W team's bad luck. We arrived at exactly the perfect time to catch the car being towed into the garage area.
Before the race:
After the race:
And just to show I didn't just take pictures of Porsches
More to come! Have a good weekend everybody.

_WRS

2 comments:

  1. this reminds me... i need to PROCESS some pics from 2001/2002. i should get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know, considering these were all taken with that Pentax point and shoot that I bought right before the trip...and I was less of a photographer then compared to now, which isn't saying much. I have some from 2002, 2001 Not much.

    Just think of the hidden gems awaiting discovery...!

    ReplyDelete