March 17, 2009

Where old Golf 3 kit cars go to die....Nurburgring?



I love the Golf 3.
I own one, I've had more VW's from the Mk3 era (two 2.0 8v cars, one VR6) than any other VW model I've owned, and I feel they offer a certain something that you can only get from the Mk3 set up. The size and nimble characteristics of the Mk2 (they use the same exact chassis don't you know) along with a slightly larger interior and a little less tendency to rattle over every. single. bump. Yes my fabulous Mk3 GTI 8v rattles over every-other bump, thank you very much. But seriously, they offer that sorta-modern feel with that basic, non-computerized, non-airbag, fun feeling while behind the wheel.

My biggest problem with the Mk3 in the USA is that they never offered it with the ABF 16v. Sure the VR6 has a lot of potential with a turbo, but is is heavy, heavy, heavy. I'll take a slow 8v with sharper handling over a VR6 any day of the week, let me tell you. The ABF 16v has tons of potential, and from the dyno charts I've seen on the few ABF 16v swaps in America, they make almost as much power as the VR6 with significantly less weight. ABF = @ 140whp, VR6 = @ 148whp. That tells us that the 16v ABF is about 10 horsepower down at the crank (and underrated by VW) from the mighty VR6, and quite a few pounds lighter. So now you all know what to get me for Christmas next year.

But anyways. The Golf 3 kit car was always one of my favorites. With Alister McRae (brother to the late, great Colin) behind the wheel it may not have gotten many wins, but it was always worth a show. Here we see (what I assume) is an ex-"factory" Golf 3 16v at the Nurburgring 24 hours. Does a pretty good show of keeping up with some of the other faster machines too. I'll take mine in white please.

2 comments:

  1. so i was thinking... if we both do the black wheel thing, i could do my fogs yellow... and then we would have some tough looking mk5/mk3's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, for sure! I happened to procure a set of OZ Racing stickers for my Superturismos for free by the way, so I have no choice by to get them refinished asap.

    ReplyDelete