May 30, 2012

VW Sport Caravan GTI (part 6.5, chassis work continues)

VW Sport Caravan GTI - Resto

Optimism can be a cruel thing to possess. I've never been some chipper, happy-go-lucky go-getter can-do maniac, but at the same time I've never been one to think I can't do (or learn) something better than before if I apply myself. Seeing the potential in what others do not. Maybe I'm crazy? Or maybe they're lazy, either way I'm sick of cleaning and painting old metal.

VW Sport Caravan GTI - resto

At any rate, so much of it has been done that it's pretty close to finished underneath. A rear beam was procured and sanded / painted and installed - along with all new bushings, bolts, nuts and polyurethane inserts. There was a natural tendency to just go all-out and press in some spherical bushings, but ultimately we did not for a few reasons. First is cost. It'd be a shame to start blowing out the budget on every trick suspension piece we can find when the car doesn't even run yet. Second is the reality that it'll take some set up and time to get the car (and ourselves) sorted behind the wheel, and quite honestly, they aren't going to be a help to us at this stage of our driving.

VW Sport Caravan GTI - resto

We did throw in some coilovers with ride and damper adjustment. Nothing fancy, single rebound adjust, but it should be enough to get us in the ballpark, if not to home plate the first lap out.

VW Sport Caravan GTI - resto

The problem with being so clean underneath and at the back end, is that I'm not compelled to be as thorough throughout the rest of the car. 

VW Sport Caravan GTI - resto

I know it'll all be worth it in the end, but for right now I'm wishing some Elves would come in and finish up all the tedious work so we can start having fun already!

_WRS

VW Sport Caravan GTI - resto

No comments:

Post a Comment