July 29, 2011

A brief report: Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest. Most people know of it, many love it, and it seems every year more and more turn their backs on it, claiming it to be too much of this, that or the other to be a 'real' show. I guess the cool kids decided it wasn't cool anymore, and while I get that, I have to say that Waterfest has done nothing except get more and more enjoyable to work and attend since the 'cool kids' deemed it uncool.

Allow me to explain it from a vendor's point of view...


Waterfest 2011

Waterfest is the big-daddy of watercooled Volkswagen shows in the USA. It was one of the first to really capitalize on the boom of the mid 90s, and carry that into the explosion of popularity in the early 2000s. I've been to every single one except for the very first, and worked every one for the past nine years. I've seen a lot of things come and go, but one things for sure: Things are chilling way out.

Waterfest 2011

Around 2005 or 2006 things were at their peak. Attendance was at its peak, people were everywhere, and as a vendor that meant non-stop work with nary a break.  Everywhere you looked people were trying to shove money in your hand for some product or another. A nice problem to have for sure, but it's not exactly the most pleasant situation for either you or your customers. It was hot. It was crowded, and people were generally not all that happy. It made for trying times.

Waterfest 2011

And then around 2009, it began changing. While still crowded and busy, things began slowing down a bit. People began to relax a bit. It was subtle at first, but then in 2010 it was quite noticeable.  Enough so that when I ran into Chris at C2 Motorsports we both almost independently remarked how pleasant it was compared to years past.

Waterfest 2011

Fast forward another year, and 2011 was even better. I have to say, this year had to be the best for me ever since working the shows became a job rather than a passion. Everyone was in a good mood. It was busy, but not painfully so, and it ebbed and flowed rather than being a constant barrage. It was really quite nice...and I don't think I saw anybody try to even steal anything.

Waterfest 2011

So as you may have gathered, I've been glossing over the cars in the pictures...but basically this is what we vendors see 99% of the time. We arrive Friday, set up, and then head for dinner and hotel. The hotel parking lot usually provides more eye candy than the show for us, since we rarely leave the booth. This year there were not one but two European market Audi A3s. One, the turbo'd VR6, has been kicking around for a few years now. The black S3 has too - you may remember it if you went to H2O back in 2007.

Waterfest 2011

With the Volk Racing TE37 wheels, it has a really nice look...not too horribly low, clearly not on air, and with enough visual flair to keep the scene-fans happy. I really liked it, one of my favorites from the show.

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

There was also this E36 M3 set up for drift. Some might consider it a sad fate for a white M3, but at least it's being driven, rather than hard-parked. No fate worse than cars only built for styling and profiling, rather than driving.

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

From there  we jump ahead to the end of the show on Sunday. I had just a few minutes so I ran down a shot some pictures of whatever booth cars caught my interest. Such as the Golf R.

Waterfest 2011

I like it, but at the same time I'm slightly unconvinced. Maybe I need to get behind the wheel, but it just looks a tad big to me.

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

Waterfest 2011

For once we weren't the last crew packing up on Sunday. That illustrious honor went to the boys at Orchid Euro, who were filling up their box truck with various bits of European kit. This awesome Mk2 with BBS RA wheels and a BBS bodykit was for sale. Too bad it's right hand drive.

Waterfest 2011

So that's it, another Waterfest in the books. I wonder what 2012 will bring? Any more laid back and it'll be more fun than H2O International. Sure the location can't compete, but man people take H2O seriously...

_WRS

No comments:

Post a Comment